Thursday 1 November 2012

Clay projects for children

When we ordered the potters wheel, as I know very little about clay and making things with it, I thought it would be a good idea to get a book on projects I could do with the children. So I ordered this very nice book by Monika Krumbach, a ceramicist who has been teaching pottery courses and running workshops for many years.


This book is filled with clay projects that can be done with children of all ages. They go from the simple to the more complex and are imaginative and fun to do. The book is aimed at the adult working with children but the projects do not require any previous pottery training on the part of the adult, a good reason for me to buy it! I went to Art school but was always very bad at anything three dimensional.
 
As Reuben was busy with the wheel, I set up a workspace for Isaac on the floor (we used air dry clay from the local craft shop), and here is what we did:

I bought a large plastic tablecloth to put on the floor for
messy activities, we used the book for inspiration but also
made whatever we could think of ourselves

Opening the clay

Our first attempt: palm trees

A joint Isaac/Mummy effort

My favourite: the sea monster

A dry and painted sea monster


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts